Re: The emperor is naked: why *comprehensive* static markup belongs in mainline

Karim Yaghmour wrote:
Why, in fact, that's exactly Jose's point of view. Who's
Jose? Well, just in case you weren't aware of his work,
Jose maintains LKET. What's LKET? An ltt-equivalent

Small correction. Li GuangLei maintains LKET, I mostly oversee its development and provide guidance to him and his team (and on occasions, I like to cause trouble in mailing lists).
that uses SystemTap to get its events. And what does
Jose say? Well I couldn't say it better than him:

> I agree with you here, I think is silly to claim dynamic instrumentation > as a fix for the "constant maintainace overhead" of static trace point. > Working on LKET, one of the biggest burdens that we've had is mantainig > the probe points when something in the kernel changes enough to cause a > breakage of the dynamic instrumentation. The solution to this is having > the SystemTap tapsets maintained by the subsystems maintainers so that > changes in the code can be applied to the dynamic instrumentation as > well. This of course means that the subsystem maintainer would need to > maintain two pieces of code instead of one. There are a lot of > advantages to dynamic vs static instrumentation, but I don't think > maintainace overhead is one of them.

Well, well, well. Here's a guy doing *exactly* what I was
asked to do a couple of years back. And what does he say?
"I think is silly to claim dynamic instrumentation as a
fix for the "constant maintainace overhead" of static trace
point."

My point here was that someone still needs to maintain the tracepoints regardless of where they are located. While I think that the challenges of maintaining the tracepoints in kernel are less that maintaining them out of kernel (either through dynamic or static tracepoints), the maintenance overhead is still not zero for the subsystem maintainers.
And just in case you missed it the first time in his
paragraph, he repeats it *again* at the end:
" There are a lot of advantages to dynamic vs static
instrumentation, but I don't think maintainace overhead is
one of them."

One thing I would like to add though, is that base on my experience using event tracing tools, I say that the benefits of dynamic instrumentation far outweigh its drawbacks.

But not content with Jose and Frank's first-hand experience
and testimonials about the cost of outside maintenance of
dynamically-inserted tracepoint, and obviously outright
dismissing the feedback from such heretics as Roman, Martin,
Mathieu, Tim, Karim and others, we have a continued barrage of
criticism from, shall we say, very orthodox kernel developers
who insist that the collective experience of the previously
mentioned people is simply misguided and that, as experienced
kernel developers, *they* know better.

I think the problem here is that we haven't done a good job in educating developers as to the value of event tracing the kernel has for developers as well as sysadmins. For example, Frank has said to me in the past that he does not see the value in just printing raw data out to user-space the way LKET does. While him and the SystemTap folks have not done anything specifically to block the inclusion of LKET into the CVS tree, Frank lack of vision of what I want to achieve with this tool is partly a failure on my part.

Why the emperor is naked:
-------------------------

Truth be told:

There is no justification why Mathieu should continue
chasing kernels to allow his users utilize ltt on as
many kernel versions as possible.

There is no justification why the SystemTap team should
continue chasing kernels to make sure users can use
SystemTap on as many kernel versions as possible.

There is no justification why Jose should continue
chasing kernels to allow his users to use LKET on as
many kernel versions as possible.

There is, in fact, no justification why Jose, Frank,
and Mathieu aren't working on the same project.

In all honesty, I think it is time to kill LTTng, LKET and LKST and use the experience gathered for these projects to create a new tool that exploits all of the advantages of the previous tools. The attitude I gathered from the OLS tracing bof was that while there was interest in making tool A work with tool B, there was absolutely no interest in saying "fuck tools A and B and lets create tool C". I've always advocated towards this goal. I will be the first one to say "fuck my tool, lets work on tool C". It is now up to Mathiue and Hiramatsu-san to do the same. In my view, egos instead of technical issues are the thing that are slowing the adoption of a event tracer in Linux"

There is no justification to any of this but the continued
*FEAR* by kernel developers that somehow their maintenance
workload is going to become unmanageable should anybody
get his way of adding static instrumentation into the
kernel. And no matter what personal *and* financial cost
this fear has had on various development teams, actual
*experience* from even those who have applied the most
outrageous of kernel developers requirements is but
grudgingly and conditionally recognized. No value, of
course, being placed on the experience of those that
*didn't* follow the orthodox diktat -- say by pointing
out that ltt tracepoints did not vary on a 5 year timespan.

The fact that tracepoint did not vary in a 5 year timespan just proves that the users of LTTng are very few. The truth is that there is no way to have a trace tool that will have all the tracepoints needed to diagnose every problem. If a static instrumentation mechanism where to be included into the kernel, every user that had a useful static tracepoint for their environment would want to push it into the kernel in order to have their tracepoint available in distribution X and avoid having to patch and recompile a kernel. This seems like the fear that has been discussed on the thread and I think its well justified. I know I would like to push my tracepoints if the tool was available in mainline kernels.

One of the things that we tried to do with LKET was not predict what the user would use the tool for. For this reason, the trace format and the conversion tool was design to be very dynamic.
For the argument, as it is at this stage of the long
intertwined thread of this week, is that "dynamic tracing"
is superior to "static tracing" because, amongst other
things, "static tracing" requires more instrumentation
than "dynamic tracing". But that, as I said within said
thread, is a fallacy. The statement that "static tracing"
requires more instrumentation than "dynamic tracing" is
only true in as far as you ignore that there is a cost
for out-of-tree maintenance of scripts for use by probe
mechanisms. And as you've read earlier, those doing this
stuff tell us there *is* cost to this. Not only do they
say that, but they go as far as telling us that this
cost is *no different* than that involved in maintaining
static trace points. That, in itself, flies in the face
of all accepted orthodox principles on the topic of
mainlined static tracing.

Improving out-of-tree maintenance of scripts is something that needs to improve. Especially when you need to insert probes in the middle of a function.

And that is but the maintenance aspect, I won't even
start on the performance issue. Because the current party
line is that while the kprobes mechanism is slow: a) it's
fast enough for all applicable uses, b) there's this
great new mechanism we're working on called djprobes which
eliminates all of kprobes' performance limitations. Of
course you are asked to pay no attention to the man behind
the curtain: a) if there is justification to work on
djprobes, it's because kprobes is dog-slow, which even
those using it for systemtap readily acknowledge, b)
djprobes has been more or less "on its way" for a year or
two now, and that's for one single architecture.

I think that the performance issues should be better understood. Right now, the thing that cause most of the slowdowns in LKET is not kprobes but rather exporting the data. Gui Jian has done some measurements using benchmarks that do real work and found that over head in most cases is significantly less than 10%.

A better performance testing methodology needs to be defined in order to justifying your argument that kprobes are not suitable for the purposes of event tracing. Something more elaborated than a simple "ping -f localhost" would be useful.

Another thing that needs to be considered is how much of an over head is acceptable in order for the tool to be useful. I will argue that in most cases, the overhead of kprobes will not inhibit the ability for find problems.

-JRS