Re: bogofilter ate 3/5

On Thu, 7 Sep 2006, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:

You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber
database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop
forgery with this method.

That's the first problem.

The problem with trying to stop forgery is that there is not yet a foolproof or reasonably foolproof method of doing so. All available options require cooperation from other MTAs, MUAs, users or administrators; hence, they're only good at increasing 'HAM' score.

It is also at least partially unapplicable to LKML since this list deliberately allows anyone to post.

The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder. Autoresponders
would respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter in
front of them, but I assume that many don't).

Yep. Sending their "responses" to innocent people, instead of spam
senders. That's what many "antivirus" do.

Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work anyway)
have perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a
reply cookie from original envelope senders. We do it because it
almost entirely prevents spam from arriving in our inboxes

Sure. Don't you think is also prevents a lot of legitimate mail?
Hope that all addresses you send mail to are automatically added
to a white list? (I'm especially annoyed with people asking me for
something, and then my answer bounces with "click somewhere"
response).

Yeah, I whitelist on that address as well. And if someone does respond to the challenge (all it takes is reply/send, as I've used a signed VERP as the Reply-To), they get whitelisted. If the challenge bounces, it bounces to the envelope sender (a different signed VERP) which increases their blacklist score by 1. Get a blacklist score of 3 and I'll silently ignore your mail for 6 months.

Thanks,
Chase