Re: bogofilter ate 3/5

On Wed, 6 Sep 2006, Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

Chase Venters <[email protected]> writes:

1. Incoming mail from subscribers is accepted

How do you know if the sender is really a subscriber?

You can check the From: or envelope sender against the subscriber database. Forgery isn't a concern because we're not trying to stop forgery with this method. Subscribers subscribing one address and sending from another is also not a problem since a lookup failure just means you get to ride through the bogofilter. Note as well that #4 is a separate program; this lookup is likely done by the mailing list software.

#1 should significantly reduce the load on the bogofilter (not sure if that matters though).

4. A handy Perl script subscribes to lkml, and for any message it gets
with an X-Bogofilter: SPAM header, it sends a notification
(rate-limited) to the message sender

How do you know who the sender really is? IMHO bouncing anything
(especially spam) after SMTP OK is worse than the spam itself.

The perl script behaves as an optional autoresponder. Autoresponders would respond to spam as well (well, unless you put a spam filter in front of them, but I assume that many don't).

Also note that a number of people (myself included, at work anyway) have perl scripts that respond to all incoming mail and require a reply cookie from original envelope senders. We do it because it almost entirely prevents spam from arriving in our inboxes (I say almost because there is the occasional spammer that doesn't forge their sender address and has some kind of autoresponder behind it). I had to do this for my work account to stop the hundreds of messages I was getting each day after a co-worker "pranked me" by signing me up for all that crap.

Thanks,
Chase