Re: [patch 3/6] fault-injection capability for alloc_pages()

On Thursday 31 August 2006 12:07, Akinobu Mita wrote:
> This patch provides fault-injection capability for alloc_pages()
>
> boot option:

> 	<probability>
>
> 		specifies how often it should fail in percent.
>
> 	<interval>
>
> 		specifies the interval of failures.
>
> 	<times>
>
> 		specifies how many times failures may happen at most.
>
> 	<space>
>
> 		specifies the size of free space where memory can be allocated
> 		safely in pages.
>
> Example:
>
> 	fail_page_alloc=100,10,-1,0
>
> page allocation fails once per 10 times.

I still think this will need some better filters to be useful. At least
a optional uid filter perhaps (make sure to handle the interrupt case
correctly, interrupts don't belong to the uid) , and perhaps an option to only
fail GFP_ATOMIC.

With arbitary failing the system will just be unusable, right? Or would
you run some system you use this way? @)

Another possibility would be to look up __builtin_return_address(0) in
the module table and allow failing only for a specific module.

-andi