Re: Touchpad problems with latest kernels

On Monday 14 August 2006 11:53, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>On 8/14/06, Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> On Monday 14 August 2006 11:13, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>> >HI Gene,

>> >Are you using synaptics X driver? It can be tweaked to adjust
>> >sensitivity and lots of other things.
>>
>> No, I've tried to totally disable any references to it in the
>> xorg.conf. Unsuccessfully it would appear, even so far as to say no
>> effect from doing so.
>
>Ok, so you are most likely using mousedev emulation mode. Not the best
>choice with ALPS/Synaptics. I recommend usig specialized driver for X
>(see below).

>> >Have you tried synclient utility? It temporarily disables the touchpad
>> >when you start typing and re-enables it when you done.
>>
>> Its not installed that I know of.  Availability?
>
>http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/
>It is a part of Synaptics X driver. And I apologize, it is called
>syndaemon, not synclient.

>> >There are ways to disable it:
>> >
>> >echo -n "manual" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/bind_mode
>>
>> bash: /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/bind_mode:  No such file or
>> directory
>>
>> >echo -n "none" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioXdrvctl
>>
>> bash: /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioXdvrctl: Permission denied
>>
>> The above is from a root bash shell while X is running the KDE desktop.
>>
>> >This should disable it completely.
>>
>> next step? :)
>
>serioX is the name of serio port your touchpad is connected to
>(serio0, serio1, etc) You will have to look which port is bound to
>psmouse driver.

What if there appear to be two functional mice running the same curser?
One being the M$ accessory mouse, the other the touchpad.  So I would have
a serio0 and a serio1.  How do I determine which to feed those commands
to?  Is the device identified in those info trees?

I've printed this for reference the next time I fire it up, as I'd just now
shut it off after installing the synaptics driver and a few other updates.

Thanks.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)