Re: Touchpad problems with latest kernels

On 8/14/06, Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
On Monday 14 August 2006 11:13, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
>HI Gene,
>
>On 8/14/06, Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> I'm having similar problems with an HP Pavilian dv5220, and with a
>> bluetooth mouse dongle plugged into the right side usb port it works
>> just fine.  What I'd like to do is totally disable that synaptics pad
>> as its way too sensitive,
>
>Are you using synaptics X driver? It can be tweaked to adjust
>sensitivity and lots of other things.

No, I've tried to totally disable any references to it in the xorg.conf.
Unsuccessfully it would appear, even so far as to say no effect from doing
so.

Ok, so you are most likely using mousedev emulation mode. Not the best
choice with ALPS/Synaptics. I recommend usig specialized driver for X
(see below).

>> making it impossible to type more than a line or 2
>> without the cursor suddenly jumping to someplace else in the message,
>> often highliteing several lines of text as it goes, and the next
>> keystroke then deletes wholesale quantities of text, thoroughly
>> destroying any chance of actually writing a cogent, understandable
>> email response to anyone.
>
>Have you tried synclient utility? It temporarily disables the touchpad
>when you start typing and re-enables it when you done.

Its not installed that I know of.  Availability?

http://web.telia.com/~u89404340/touchpad/
It is a part of Synaptics X driver. And I apologize, it is called
syndaemon, not synclient.

>> Unforch, my questions along those lines have been treated as the
>> ravings of a lunatic and ignored.  The bios has no place to disable it,
>> dumbest bios I've seen in quite a while, and it has been updated in the
>> last 3 months.
>>
>> I don't *think* I'm a lunatic, but I'm equally sure that the synaptics
>> is a pain in the ass and should be capable of being totally disabled
>> somehow, hopefully short of opening the lappy up and unplugging or
>> cutting every lead to it until such time as it can be made to behave
>> instead of responding to every thumb waved 1/2 to 3/4" above it.  I've
>> gotten hand cramps trying to hold my thumbs far enough away from that
>> abomination to stop such goings on.
>>
>> So count this as a vote FOR doing something about the synaptics
>> touchpad situation.
>
>There are ways to disable it:
>
>echo -n "manual" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/bind_mode
bash: /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioX/bind_mode:  No such file or directory
>echo -n "none" > /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioXdrvctl
bash: /sys/bus/serio/devices/serioXdvrctl: Permission denied

The above is from a root bash shell while X is running the KDE desktop.

>This should disable it completely.

next step? :)

serioX is the name of serio port your touchpad is connected to
(serio0, serio1, etc) You will have to look which port is bound to
psmouse driver.

--
Dmitry