Re: Time to forbid non-subscribers from posting to the list?

Matti Aarnio wrote:
> I have seen these lists classify major ISP relays as spam sources(*),
> even classify VGER as one.  Their maintenance standards are varying,
> some demand ridiculous things out of DNS zone SOA timers, some are
> otherwise retarded in their "we are the world police, beware or be
> sorry"..   and then they simply evaporate into the bit heaven.

Be nice if those that get listed and have real spammer problems actually
clean up.  Some don't care.

> Spamhouse and Spamcop have long(er) existence compared to most
> DNS BLs, but still I am utterly worried...
> ("Many times burned, forever distrustful..")

Personally, I use several RBLs, spamhaus and spamcop being 2 of those.

If it's possible, one suggesting I have is to filter out some HELO strings.
I have 3 of those in my suggestion:
1) strings consisting of either the IP or the hostname of the receiving
server (vger.kernel.org I assume)
2) any helo that does not contain a dot.  I do not know the impact on the
list if that were used
3) tom.com and 163.com.  I have noticed that these are very common in some
of the spam on the list and others that I am on.

These are only suggestions and I do not expect anyone to blindly use them.
I do use these methods and others, however, I am the only user of the mail
server in which I'm sending this email.

 Got Gas???