Re: [Alsa-user] another in kernel alsa update that breaks backward compatibilty?

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 12:07, Gene Heskett wrote:
>On Wednesday 09 August 2006 11:46, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>>On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:40:02 -0400
>>
>>Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Greetings;
>>>
>>> The old fart is back again. :)
>>>
>>> I've just done a divide and conquer on kernel versions, and have found
>>> that while I DO have a kde audio signon for kernels
>>> 2.6.18-rc1-rc3-rc4, I do not have any other functioning audio,
>>> including the kde sound effects I normally get.  xmms and tvtime are
>>> mute, as are the firefox plugins to play videos from the network.
>>> 2.6.17.8 and below works great yet.
>>>
>>> So whats the fix?
>>
>>Demand stable ABI.
>
>It does not appear to be so.  And ATM booted to 18-rc1, I didn't see an
>error message when rc.local made a call of "[root@coyote gene]# alsactl
>restore
>alsactl: set_control:894: warning: name mismatch (Mic Boost (+20dB)/Mic
>Boost (+20dB) Switch) for control #45
>alsactl: set_control:896: warning: index mismatch (0/0) for control #45
>alsactl: set_control:898: failed to obtain info for control #45
> (Operation not permitted)
>[root@coyote gene]#
>
>But as you can see, the error was there nontheless.  I've seen this or a
>very similar error for .18-rc3 and .18-rc4.
>
>This walks and qwacks like the alsa interface has been diddled, again.
> But since it KNOWS what hardware its running, in this case an audigy 2,
> not Value, so why was apparently working code broken and then commited
> to the kernel tree?
>
>Humm, because of my use of 2 independant audio channels here, I'm forced
> to use kamix in order to address both systems.  And I found it!
> Somehow, that card managed to get its "external amplifier" 'led' turned
> on, which apparently kills the normal line outs that drive my speakers.
> The display also looks slightly busier, like another slider has been
> added?
>
>Now to check the newer kernels again after doing an 'alsactl store' from
>the cli.  Once I've done that, the above error is not repeated.
>
>And, even kookier, is that after doing the alsactl store, the external
>amplifier button no longer effects it.  Anybody got any migrain medicine?
>
>And tvtime now has a voice too, goodie.. :)

But, once booted to 2.6.18-rc4, the audio except for the kde signon splash,
is well and truely muted for all other usage.

I haven't built -rc2 yet, I'll try that next.  Alsamixer cannot coax a peep
out of it now.

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: