Re: [Alsa-user] another in kernel alsa update that breaks backward compatibilty?

On Wednesday 09 August 2006 11:46, Sergei Steshenko wrote:
>On Wed, 09 Aug 2006 11:40:02 -0400
>
>Gene Heskett <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Greetings;
>>
>> The old fart is back again. :)
>>
>> I've just done a divide and conquer on kernel versions, and have found
>> that while I DO have a kde audio signon for kernels 2.6.18-rc1-rc3-rc4,
>> I do not have any other functioning audio, including the kde sound
>> effects I normally get.  xmms and tvtime are mute, as are the firefox
>> plugins to play videos from the network. 2.6.17.8 and below works great
>> yet.
>>
>> So whats the fix?
>
>Demand stable ABI.

It does not appear to be so.  And ATM booted to 18-rc1, I didn't see an
error message when rc.local made a call of "[root@coyote gene]# alsactl
restore
alsactl: set_control:894: warning: name mismatch (Mic Boost (+20dB)/Mic
Boost (+20dB) Switch) for control #45
alsactl: set_control:896: warning: index mismatch (0/0) for control #45
alsactl: set_control:898: failed to obtain info for control #45 (Operation
not permitted)
[root@coyote gene]#

But as you can see, the error was there nontheless.  I've seen this or a
very similar error for .18-rc3 and .18-rc4.

This walks and qwacks like the alsa interface has been diddled, again.  But
since it KNOWS what hardware its running, in this case an audigy 2, not
Value, so why was apparently working code broken and then commited to the
kernel tree?

Humm, because of my use of 2 independant audio channels here, I'm forced to
use kamix in order to address both systems.  And I found it!  Somehow,
that card managed to get its "external amplifier" 'led' turned on, which
apparently kills the normal line outs that drive my speakers.  The display
also looks slightly busier, like another slider has been added?

Now to check the newer kernels again after doing an 'alsactl store' from
the cli.  Once I've done that, the above error is not repeated.

And, even kookier, is that after doing the alsactl store, the external
amplifier button no longer effects it.  Anybody got any migrain medicine?

And tvtime now has a voice too, goodie.. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
message by Gene Heskett are: