Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

Antonio Vargas wrote:

> On 8/4/06, Edward Shishkin <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Hans Reiser wrote:

>> > How about we switch to ecc, which would help with bit rot not
>> sector loss?
>>
>> Interesting aspect.
>>
>> Yes, we can implement ECC as a special crypto transform that inflates
>> data. As I mentioned earlier, it is possible via translation of key
>> offsets with scale factor > 1.
>>
>> Of course, it is better then nothing, but anyway meta-data remains
>> ecc-unprotected, and, hence, robustness is not increased..
>>
>> Edward.

> Would the storage + plugin subsystem support storing >1 copies of the
> metadata tree?

I suppose....

What would be nice would be to have a plugin that when a node fails its
checksum/ecc it knows to get it from another mirror, and which generally
handles faults with a graceful understanding of its ability to get
copies from a mirror (or RAID parity calculation).

I would happily accept such a patch (subject to usual reservation of
right to complain about implementation details).