Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

Bernd Schubert <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Monday 31 July 2006 21:29, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > The point is that it's quite hard to really fuck up ext{2,3} with only
> > some KB being written while it seems (due to the
> > fragile^Wsophisticated on-disk data structures) that it's just easy to
> > kill a reiser3 filesystem.

> Well, I was once very 'luckily' and after a system crash (*) e2fsck put
> all files into lost+found. Sure, I never experienced this again, but I
> also never experienced something like this with reiserfs. So please, stop
> this kind of FUD against reiser3.6.

It isn't FUD. One data point doesn't allow you to draw conclusions.

Yes, I've seen/heard of ext2/ext3 failures and data loss too. But at least
the same number for ReiserFS. And I know it is outnumbered 10 to 1 or so in
my sample, so that would indicate at a 10 fold higher probability of
catastrophic data loss, other factors mostly the same.

> While filesystem speed is nice, it also would be great if reiser4.x would be
> very robust against any kind of hardware failures.

Can't have both.