Re: the " 'official' point of view" expressed by kernelnewbies.org regarding reiser4 inclusion

Gregory Maxwell wrote:
On 8/1/06, David Masover <[email protected]> wrote:
Yikes.  Undetected.

Wait, what?  Disks, at least, would be protected by RAID.  Are you
telling me RAID won't detect such an error?

Unless the disk ECC catches it raid won't know anything is wrong.

This is why ZFS offers block checksums... it can then try all the
permutations of raid regens to find a solution which gives the right
checksum.

Isn't there a way to do this at the block layer? Something in device-mapper?

Every level of the system must be paranoid and take measure to avoid
corruption if the system is to avoid it... it's a tough problem. It
seems that the ZFS folks have addressed this challenge by building as
much of what is classically separate layers into one part.

Sounds like bad design to me, and I can point to the antipattern, but what do I know?