Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

Daniel Bonekeeper wrote:
Ok, I'll develop this in a cleaner way. But did you get the idea ? Let
me know if you think that this is something worthy to develop so I can
work on it. There are some details that I need to study about the USB
layer to get the whole picture so I can avoid redundant stuff.

I just think that it would be cool to be able to know the capabilities
of each device connected to our system, and who's better to tell us
that than the device drivers? =]
This way we can know, for example, that a webcam can do 30fps at
640x480 and the output type of the video, independently of which
webcam (and driver) we're using...

While this may be a good idea in general, it could possible be done in userspace (the whole concept is basically linking USB ID's to capability sets, so there is no need for this to be in-kernel, right?).

Also, in the less general case of fingerprint readers, most drivers will be in userspace. The upek one is, a driver being developed for the Authentec AES4000 is, and dpfp will be if the USB stack is now mature enough to allow libusb to bind to the fingerprint reader while the kernel usbhid driver is bound to the keyboard interface on the same device. So, defining some kind of structure for /sys/class/fingerprint won't apply to many of the supported devices.

Yes - I agree that there needs to be some common abstraction for fingerprint readers. When we have more device support, we should look at providing a fingerprint processing library, which supports as many devices as possible through a common interface.

Daniel