Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

Hello Alon !
Unfortunately I don't have an accessible thinkpad laptop (luckly the
external usb devices may work the same way). From the USB readers at
http://www.upek.com/products/usb.asp, which one do you think that fits
better the hardware on your laptop ?

I was looking for any place that sells those devices and I could not
find any online (even though I found lots of SDK and matching engines
that supports them, like VeriFinger).

Is there any place where I can buy one of those readers ?

Daniel

On 7/3/06, Alon Bar-Lev <[email protected]> wrote:
On 7/3/06, Daniel Bonekeeper <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello everybody.
>
> I would like to develop a driver for any kind of fingerprint reader
> that currently doesn't have a driver for linux, and I'm open for
> suggestions on which device I should use. My first thought was the
> microsoft usb fingerprint reader
> (http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=DG2-00002-DT&cpc=SCH) because
> it's a new device (and, of course, doesn't have any driver for linux),
> it's cheap, and it's from MS (read "would be fun" =)

Please consider UPEK reader.
It is available on all new Thinkpad laptops, and the vendor provides
only binary drivers.

http://www.upek.com/support/dl_linux_bsp.asp

I hate when vendors like ATI, Conexant and UPEK publish binary drivers
without publishing the chipset spec... They should decide whether
their IP is on the software part or on the hardware part, if it is on
the hardware part, they are making money in selling the hardware. If
it is on the software part, there is no reason why not providing the
information for others to write software to work with the primitive
hardware. So in either case there should be full hardware interface
disclosure.

Best Regards and Goodluck!
Alon Bar-Lev.

--
What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.