Re: Driver for Microsoft USB Fingerprint Reader

hahahaha I wish I could... well, you are _always_ welcome to donate me
yours ! =P
I'll try more later to get one of those readers...

Reading Greg's comment, now I'm in doubt if this should really be in
kernel mode or at userspace. Since there is no standard (AFAIK) for
those readers, how should it be done ?

Another thing: where can I find documentation about the USB
architecture ? For example, I suppose that some (or all) USB devices
may have DMA capabilities... how is this done ?

[]'s
Daniel

On 7/3/06, Alon Bar-Lev <[email protected]> wrote:
Daniel Bonekeeper wrote:
> Hello Alon !
> Unfortunately I don't have an accessible thinkpad laptop (luckly the
> external usb devices may work the same way). From the USB readers at
> http://www.upek.com/products/usb.asp, which one do you think that fits
> better the hardware on your laptop ?

I think that the TCRE3C is similar to the laptop one. I also
hope that it is the same... Also the laptop integrated one
is USB device.

Here is my device information:

Bus 003 Device 011: ID 0483:2016 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               1.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0         8
   idVendor           0x0483 SGS Thomson Microelectronics
   idProduct          0x2016
   bcdDevice            0.01
   iManufacturer           1 STMicroelectronics
   iProduct                2 Biometric Coprocessor
   iSerial                 0
   bNumConfigurations      1
   Configuration Descriptor:
     bLength                 9
     bDescriptorType         2
     wTotalLength           39
     bNumInterfaces          1
     bConfigurationValue     1
     iConfiguration          0
     bmAttributes         0xa0
       Remote Wakeup
     MaxPower              100mA
     Interface Descriptor:
       bLength                 9
       bDescriptorType         4
       bInterfaceNumber        0
       bAlternateSetting       0
       bNumEndpoints           3
       bInterfaceClass       255 Vendor Specific Class
       bInterfaceSubClass      0
       bInterfaceProtocol      0
       iInterface              0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x81  EP 1 IN
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x02  EP 2 OUT
         bmAttributes            2
           Transfer Type            Bulk
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0040  1x 64 bytes
         bInterval               0
       Endpoint Descriptor:
         bLength                 7
         bDescriptorType         5
         bEndpointAddress     0x83  EP 3 IN
         bmAttributes            3
           Transfer Type            Interrupt
           Synch Type               None
           Usage Type               Data
         wMaxPacketSize     0x0004  1x 4 bytes
         bInterval              20

> I was looking for any place that sells those devices and I could not
> find any online (even though I found lots of SDK and matching engines
> that supports them, like VeriFinger).
>
> Is there any place where I can buy one of those readers ?

Oh... I really don't know...
You can buy a new laptop :)

Best Regards,
Alon Bar-Lev.

--
What this world needs is a good five-dollar plasma weapon.