Re: [KBUILD] allow any PHONY in if_changed_dep

On Jul 1, 2006, at 4:39 AM, Sam Ravnborg wrote:

On Sat, Jul 01, 2006 at 04:16:56AM -0500, Milton Miller wrote:
While all the if_changed family filter $(PHONY) from the list of newer
files, if_changed_dep was only filtering FORCE from the list of all
dependents.  This resulted in forced recompile every time.

I see where you are heading with this. But on the principle of minimal
suprise this is not good. Why does it not include file.o in the link
when I mark it phony?

This is your suprise argument, right?  (Not my current problem).

Actually this is only changing weither file.o gets considered in
causing the build command to be executed.

The root cause is buried in the powerpc/boot/Makefile restructuring.
I do not see what is wrong with current approch if you do a simple
s/cmd/if_changed/g and then assign targets += <relevant targets>

The issue is I need headers copied for some of the files.  The current
approach is any file that might need a copied header gets a dependency
on all of the copied .h files.  I was planning on coping some more
headers used in different files.  if_changed_dep

The issue is specifically COPYFILES.  The .o can not be built until
its dependencys are met, but it never exists itself.  The actual .h
files a given source will be detected by if_changed_dep and fixdep.

You need to post a full diff of the Makefile before I can give better
feedback.

Sure.  I'm reposting the series, I'll cc you and copy the makefile
patch to linux-kernel, its 3/5. That patch is independent of 1 and 2 while 4 and 5 require them. The full series is available on the linuxppc-dev mailing list.

milton