Re: Kernelsources writeable for everyone?!

"Joshua Hudson" <[email protected]> writes:

> I feel like asking how they initially get set to world-writable. To me
> it means that the tree that is being tarred up for distribution is
> world-writible. I sure hope that it is a single-user box.

It is _not_ coming from a working tree at all.

git-tar-tree generates the tar image from a git tree object, and
when it does so, it deliberately sets the mode bits to 0666/0777
so that umask of the people who extract the tarball is honored.
In very early days once we made a mistake of generating the tar
archive with more restrictive permission bits (I think it was
0644 or 0755) which was very impolite way to annoy people with
002 umask.