Re: Kernelsources writeable for everyone?!

Junio C Hamano wrote:
"Joshua Hudson" <[email protected]> writes:

I feel like asking how they initially get set to world-writable. To me
it means that the tree that is being tarred up for distribution is
world-writible. I sure hope that it is a single-user box.

It is _not_ coming from a working tree at all.

git-tar-tree generates the tar image from a git tree object, and
when it does so, it deliberately sets the mode bits to 0666/0777
so that umask of the people who extract the tarball is honored.
In very early days once we made a mistake of generating the tar
archive with more restrictive permission bits (I think it was
0644 or 0755) which was very impolite way to annoy people with
002 umask.

I have my unpack/build directory set to a group ownership which prevents "just anyone" from writing, and have the "setgid" bit on (mode 2775) which interestingly propagates. So everything has the same group, and you can set your umask to do what you want. I want everything world readable, writable by group. YMMV.

--
Bill Davidsen <[email protected]>
  Obscure bug of 2004: BASH BUFFER OVERFLOW - if bash is being run by a