Re: Frustrating Random Reboots, seeking suggestions

On Sat, Jun 10, 2006 at 10:52:03AM +0200, Ingo Oeser wrote:
Hi Hui Zhou,

On Saturday, 10. June 2006 04:37, Hui Zhou wrote:
Thanks. memtest86 passes 6 times without errors. Serial console didn't show up anything (it just reboots). Anyway, I finally suspect the debian libmpeg binary is at fault. I manually build it from src and statically linked to the `bkmark' program. It seems cured the random reboots problem. It runs successfully for 4 times. However, the fifth time it ended up in a `D' state. The only system call it uses is libc file IO and some signal passing. Any comment on the cause?

Do you also see the problem if you decode from file to memory only.
without any display?

NO: You have some problem with your peripherals.

There is no display. The program just marks the blank scene or scene changes and dumps the results to a text file for another program to analyze.

YES: Check for heat and power problems.

If you are brave you could try some cpuburn variant to put the heat to the maximum.

WARNING: This could kill your CPU and might void your warranty, since this is not "normal use" of your CPU :-)

No, I am not that brave. :) However, I am now faily certain it is not heat problem. After relinked with a new libmpeg binary, it hasn't rebooted yet (8+hours). Any possibility that some binary code can randomly trigger reboots on certain CPUs? (Sounds absurd, but only you kernel guys have better answers.)

Now I am concerned with the `D' state. Is that some problem from the kernel?

Thanks.

--
Hui Zhou