Re: Frustrating Random Reboots, seeking suggestions

On Fri, Jun 09, 2006 at 11:01:22AM -0500, Chase Venters wrote:
On Fri, 9 Jun 2006, Hui Zhou wrote:
I am running a linux machine with a self programmed pvr running on it. All is well until I reinstalled the linux system a few weeks ago. Now I am suffering from random reboots. The reboots does not leave any debug messages or clues. After some isolation, I finally narrowed it down to a blankscene marking program -- bkmark. Running bkmark against any recording randomly reboots the computer. By random, I mean it may complete sucessfully once, but repeating it for a few times, the reboots will happen. On average, it reboots every 2 - 3 runs.
Try to knock out any hardware problems first (run memtest86, check for high heat / crappy power).

If you're still having trouble, purchase a serial cable. Plug it into another computer with a terminal program. Enable serial console support in your kernel (and on your kernel command line). When the kernel boots, use SysRq on the serial console to turn the console messaging level up to maximum. If you're lucky, you'll catch some sort of diagnostics message on the serial console before this happens.

Thanks. memtest86 passes 6 times without errors. Serial console didn't show up anything (it just reboots). Anyway, I finally suspect the debian libmpeg binary is at fault. I manually build it from src and statically linked to the `bkmark' program. It seems cured the random reboots problem. It runs successfully for 4 times. However, the fifth time it ended up in a `D' state. The only system call it uses is libc file IO and some signal passing. Any comment on the cause?

--
Hui Zhou