Re: Merge of per task delay accounting (was Re: 2.6.18 -mm merge plans)

Andrew Morton wrote:

On Thu, 08 Jun 2006 10:27:46 -0400
Shailabh Nagar <[email protected]> wrote:

Andrew Morton wrote:

On Tue, 06 Jun 2006 18:28:15 -0400
Shailabh Nagar <[email protected]> wrote:

So, we have a good consensus from existing/potential users of taskstats and would
very much appreciate it being included in 2.6.18.
Yes, for 2.6.18 I'm inclined to send taskstats and to continue to play
wait-and-see on the statistics infrastructure.  Greg is taking a look at
the stats code, which is good.

Thanks !

The suggestion from Jay Lan to extend the interface by making sending of tgid stats configurable
is quite reasonable and can be done relatively simply:
set some parameter, either by sending a separate command (verify sender is privileged) or by some sysfs parameter and use that to control sending of tgid stats on task exit (as well as allocation of
any tgid stat related structures).

hm.  Is it possible to check the privileges of a netlink message sender?
Not entirely sure. But there's a check in net/netlink/genetlink.c: genl_rcv_msg()
for
if ((ops->flags & GENL_ADMIN_PERM) && security_netlink_recv(skb))
{    err = -EPERM;
   goto errout;
}

and security_netlink_recv(skb), normally set to cap_netlink_recv, checks on the skb's effective capability
being CAP_NET_ADMIN which I thought would be sufficient.
Need to look further.

If it doesn't turn out to fit properly, sysfs config variable can be used.

Would you recommend we submit a patch for it now or wait till after delay accounting has gone into
2.6.18 ?

Earlier, please.
Ok. will submit asap.

Such requests for extending the interface are likely to happen as more users start using the interface. But since any patch will need some testing etc. and we are very close to the 2.6.18 merge window, I
wanted your advice on whether this should wait until later.

If it's merged, we'll have a couple more months to test it, and to fix any
little problems.
Sounds good.

Thanks,
Shailabh