Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On 6/1/06, D. Hazelton <[email protected]> wrote:
VT switch to a VT where X is running. X will still require a VT and assume it
has good access to the graphics system. While currently it has no problems,
when drmcon becomes a reality there will have to be a state switch between
the consoles settings and the setting for the VT running X.

> > 14) backwards compatible, an old X server should still run on a new
> > kernel. I will allow for new options to be enabled at run-time so that
> > this isn't possible, but just booting a kernel and starting X should
> > work.
>
> I'm not sure we want to continue supporting every X server released in
> the last 25 years. But we should definitely support any X server
> released in a 2.6 based kernel distribution. What are reasonable
> limits?

This is not a supportable position, Jon. I haven't seen it myself, but I'm
willing to bet there are still a few systems out there running X5 but have a
recent kernel. Since X version prior to 6 are no longer in wide use, however,
this is something that could be done with little damage to anyone.

But it still breaks the spirit of Linus' directive to "break nothing"

I don't know if break nothing applies to operating systems
masquerading as applications. "Break nothing" works both ways. Old X
servers are doing things like messing with the PCI bus that breaks new
kernels.

Use some common sense here, who would update to a 2006 kernel and keep
running an X server from 1989? Pick a reasonable limit and say the
rest are unsupported. Why make a pile of work for yourself that no
sane person is ever going to make use of.

Remember, an X server from 1989 only contains drivers for hardware
from 1989 and earlier. Can 2.6 Linux boot on a 1989 PC with an 8514
graphics card? Does it support running in 640K with an AboveBoard?
Does anyone even remember what an AboveBoard did?

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]