Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

On 6/1/06, Dave Airlie <[email protected]> wrote:
> Without specifying a design here are a few requirements I would have:
>
> 1) The kernel subsystem should be agnostic of the display server. The
> solution should not be X specific. Any display system should be able
> to use it, SDL, Y Windows, Fresco, etc...

of course, but that doesn't mean it can't re-use X's code, they are
the best drivers we have. you forget everytime that the kernel fbdev
drivers aren't even close, I mean not by a long long way apart from
maybe radeon.

This requirement means that stuff like mode setting has to be broken
out into an independent library. For example it would not be ok to say
that Fresco has to install X to get mode setting. No comment was made
on where the code comes from, you are reading in something that isn't
in the requirement.. I am aware that X has the best mode setting code
and it would be foolish to ignore it.

Both you and I both know what a pain it is to extract this type of
code from X. Let's not repeat X's problems in this area. Let's make
the new library standalone and easy to work with in any environment.
No all encompassing typedef systems this time.

> 2) State inside the hardware is maintained by a single driver. No
> hooks for state swapping (ie, save your state, now I'll load mine,
> ...).

We still have to do state swapping, we just don't expose it,
suspend/resume places state swapping as a requirement.

I don't consider suspend/resume state swapping, it is state save and
restore. The same state is loaded back in.

Other than suspend/resume why would the driver need to do state swapping?

> 9) there needs to be a way to control the mode on each head, merged fb
> should also work. Monitor hotplug should work. Video card hot plug
> should work. These should all work for console and the display
> servers.

Of course, have you got drivers for these written? this is mostly in
the realms of the driver developer, the modesetting API is going to
have to deal with all these concepts.

This needs to be considered in the design stage. For example, if both
heads are mapped through a single device node they can't be
independently controlled by two different user IDs. We need to make
sure we leave the path open to building this.

> 10) Console support for complex scripts should get consideration.

not really necessary.. nor should it be... fbset works, something like
it would be good enough..

I meant support for Korean, Chinese, etc. You can't draw some of the
complex scripts without using something like Pango. Do we want to
build a system where people can use console in their native language?
You can use these languages from xterm but not console today. I have
no strong opinion on this point other that I believe it should be
discussed and input from non-English speakers should be considered. No
one on this list has a problem with this area since we all speak
English.

14) backwards compatible, an old X server should still run on a new
kernel. I will allow for new options to be enabled at run-time so that
this isn't possible, but just booting a kernel and starting X should
work.

I'm not sure we want to continue supporting every X server released in
the last 25 years. But we should definitely support any X server
released in a 2.6 based kernel distribution. What are reasonable
limits?

15) re-use as much of the X drivers as possible, otherwise it will KGI.

I would broaden this to use the best code where ever it is found. Of
course X is a major source.

16) secure - no direct IO or MMIO access, modesetting is slow anyways
having the kernel checking the mmio access won't make it much slower.

This needs some expansion. Secure is good, but it's not clear what you
are requiring with this point.

For me security means reducing the privileged code to an absolute
minimum and then inspecting it closely to make sure there are no
holes. Everything that is passed in needs to be checked and regarded
with suspicion. But you can go too far with the reduction, if you
provide a generic IOCTL to poke an IO port with an arbitrary value you
now have to verify that it is safe to pass in every possible value.
Instead if the IOCTL implements a specific function that pokes the
port with a single fixed value it is easier to say that it is secure.

--
Jon Smirl
[email protected]