Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

Dave Airlie wrote:
So far we have no memory management, and most of the plans I've seen
involved using a userspace system to do it, really we just want the
fbdev driver to be able to ask the DRM, so where the hell is the
frontbuffer, if the DRM is loaded and if it isn't just say I'm using
here.

The kernel will need to do some amount of arbitration, some amount of scheduling between competing processes. Doing a lot of that in userspace seems a bit questionable.

And won't as long as you fight against it, we don't have to force X to
use it, we have to make it an option in X that distros turn on... we
have to let the X people keep doing their drivers the way they do
drivers... I'm still not convinced putting modesetting in kernel is at
all necessary, I think a simple MMIO parser to stop bad commands from
getting to the hardware is all we should need, modesetting normally
consists of a small number of operations.

Write register,
Read register,
Wait for something to happen (vblank, bit set in a register X times..)

Kernel needs to do suspend/resume, interrupt handling, DMA mapping, ...

Further, whatever the Linux kernel chooses to do, the X server will follow.

History has proven that it is COMPLETELY BROKEN to allow X to dictate these basic architectural decisions. X11's ancient and broken PCI bus handling is a testament to this. Tons of polling everywhere, rather than cleanly handling events in interrupts, is a further testament.

If we do it right, X will follow.  As will FreeBSD and other OS's.

	Jeff