Re: OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts

D. Hazelton wrote:
The goal of adding said "third system" would be to provide a minimal kernel-level API for interfacing with the hardware acceleration features and providing a userspace library for doing most of the interfacing work. Done properly (something I always try for) this system would supplant DRM on Linux by providing a built-in system for accelerating all grahpics applications. This system would be quite similar to ALSA in nature and spirit.

I'm asking for advice from the experienced people on this list for help, since until I have a clear picture of what the kernel needs in a "modern" graphics system I cannot proceed.

I really hate to be a killjoy to one who is so enthusiastic, but to be perfectly blunt,

* I doubt you will get much help. From GGI to today, the world has been full of people who have a clear picture of where Linux graphics needs to be... and they never got very far. So if you don't already have a clear picture, you have ever farther to go.

* You really need to already know a good deal about graphics hardware, old and new, before starting down this path.

* Review Dave Airlie's posts, he's been pretty spot-on in this thread. There needs to be a lowlevel driver that handles PCI functionality, and registers itself with the fbdev and DRM layers. The fbdev/DRM registrations need to be aware of each other. Once that is done, work will proceed more rapidly.

And mind you, _I_ am saying all this as one of the crowd who wants to rewrite Linux video... once I get a free year or two. I got my start in kernel graphics (fbdev) ~ a decade ago, and I've followed the graphics world intensely even since. However, the more realistic people will just re-read DaveA's posts.

The path you suggest -- a third graphics system -- is going to be completely ignored by everyone unless/until its so wonderful that we just _have_ to switch. And given past history (GGI, ...) it will be a lonely path for a long time.

	Jeff