Re: JVM performance on Linux (vs. Solaris/Windows)

David Lang wrote:

On Thu, 13 Apr 2006, Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Note they ran the benchmark on an Opteron 285 instead of a Xeon with 16 GB of memory. Opteron peformance currently **SUCKS** with 2.6 series kernels under any kind of heavy I/O due to their cloning of the ancient 82489DX architecture for I/O interrupt access and performance. Looks like the test was stakced against Linux from the start. Should have used a Xeon system. AMD needs to get their crappy I/O performance up to snuff. Looking at the test parameteres leads me to believe there was a lot of swapping on a system with already poor I/O performance.

Jeff, I've seen several reccomendations from databasefolks (postgres and mysql) favoring Opterons over Xeons. this doesn't match your statement that Opteron performance sucks under any kind of I/O load. I don't understand how both can be correct.

David Lang

Hi David,

I have tested our Solera products on both Xeon and Opteron Processors. I can sustain 500 MB/S capture off the wire on 4 x 1000 Gigabit segments due to the incredible performance of Xeon based I/O chipsets. My tests with Opteron based systems are sick in comparison. An Opteron 200 series CPU on a Tyan based motherbord system is discouraging on comparison. The Opteron systems will only sustain 150 MB/S with the same software.

The I/O chipset performance for disk and LAN I/O is purtrid compared to the 7500 series I/O chipsets.

Jeff