Re: JVM performance on Linux (vs. Solaris/Windows)

Note they ran the benchmark on an Opteron 285 instead of a Xeon with 16 GB of memory. Opteron peformance currently **SUCKS** with 2.6 series kernels under any kind of heavy I/O due to their cloning of the ancient 82489DX architecture for I/O interrupt access and performance. Looks like the test was stakced against Linux from the start. Should have used a Xeon system. AMD needs to get their crappy I/O performance up to snuff. Looking at the test parameteres leads me to believe there was a lot of swapping on a system with already poor I/O performance.

Looks to me like it was the same h/w for Linux as Solaris, so I don't
think that's much of an excuse ;-)

M.