Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Sam Vilain wrote:
On Tue, 2006-03-28 at 09:41 -0500, Bill Davidsen wrote:
It is more than realistic. Hosting companies run more than 100 VPSs in reality. There are also other usefull scenarios. For example, I know the universities which run VPS for every faculty web site, for every department, mail server and so on. Why do you think they want to run only 5VMs on one machine? Much more!
I made no commont on what "they" might want, I want to make the rack of underutilized Windows, BSD and Solaris servers go away. An approach which doesn't support unmodified guest installs doesn't solve any of my current problems. I didn't say it was in any way not useful, just not of interest to me. What needs I have for Linux environments are answered by jails and/or UML.

We are talking about adding jail technology, also known as containers on
Solaris and vserver/openvz on Linux, to the mainline kernel.

So, you are obviously interested!

Because of course, you can take an unmodified filesystem of the guest
and assuming the kernels are compatible run them without changes.  I
find this consolidation approach indispensible.

The only way to assume kernels are compatible is to run the same distro. Because vendor kernels are sure not compatible, even running a kernel.org kernel on Fedora (for instance) reveals the the utilities are also tweaked to expect the kernel changes, and you wind up with a system which feels like wearing someone else's hat. It's stable but little things just don't work right.

--
   -bill davidsen ([email protected])