[RFC] Virtualization steps

Eric, Herbert,

I think it is quite clear, that without some agreement on all these virtualization issues, we won't be able to commit anything good to mainstream. My idea is to gather our efforts to get consensus on most clean parts of code first and commit them one by one.

The proposal is quite simple. We have 4 parties in this conversation (maybe more?): IBM guys, OpenVZ, VServer and Eric Biederman. We discuss the areas which should be considered step by step. Send patches for each area, discuss, come to some agreement and all 4 parties Sign-Off the patch. After that it goes to Andrew/Linus. Worth trying?

So far, (correct me if I'm wrong) we concluded that some people don't want containers as a whole, but want some subsystem namespaces. I suppose for people who care about containers only it doesn't matter, so we can proceed with namespaces, yeah?

So the most easy namespaces to discuss I see:
- utsname
- sys IPC
- network virtualization
- netfilter virtualization

all these were discussed already somehow and looks like there is no fundamental differencies in our approaches (at least OpenVZ and Eric, for sure).

Right now, I suggest to concentrate on first 2 namespaces - utsname and sysvipc. They are small enough and easy. Lets consider them without sysctl/proc issues, as those can be resolved later. I sent the patches for these 2 namespaces to all of you. I really hope for some _good_ critics, so we could work it out quickly.

Thanks,
Kirill