Re: [RFC] Virtualization steps

Kirill Korotaev wrote:

Frankly I don't see running 100 VMs as a realistic goal, being able to run Linux, Windows, Solaris and BEOS unmodified in 4-5 VMs would be far more useful.

It is more than realistic. Hosting companies run more than 100 VPSs in reality. There are also other usefull scenarios. For example, I know the universities which run VPS for every faculty web site, for every department, mail server and so on. Why do you think they want to run only 5VMs on one machine? Much more!

I made no commont on what "they" might want, I want to make the rack of underutilized Windows, BSD and Solaris servers go away. An approach which doesn't support unmodified guest installs doesn't solve any of my current problems. I didn't say it was in any way not useful, just not of interest to me. What needs I have for Linux environments are answered by jails and/or UML.

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc