Re: [patch 1/1] pc-speaker: add SND_SILENT

Hi.

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
So what you actually need is a mediator module controlling concurrent
access to the speaker hardware from both pcspkr and snd_pcsp and
making sure that one does not disrupt the other. This is completely
outside of the scope of the input subsystem tough.
Strictly speaking - yes. But, to make my life easier, I am trying
to approach it from the other sides as well:
Why not to have a SYN_CONFIG option to disable the terminal beeps
with *any* speaker driver (sparkspkr, m68kspkr etc)?
Or, why not to have the grabbing capability in the input layer, so
that the driver can request an exclusive handling of some events?
Both the above options look usefull in general, and I can get the
use of either one. Do you think both of the above options are bad
in general? (you may disagree with the way I am going to use them,
but that doesn't make them bad in general, I think)

You are right, I misunderstood the purpose of snd_pcsp. Still the best
solution would be to allow beeps to come through if user keeps them
enabled.
But they really kill the snd_pcsp if they occur. They reprogram the
PIT channel 2 to a different mode, and the sound doesn't resume
after the beep, there is just some crackling remains. And it is
not even under the user's control - Mozilla mailer beeps me when
receives the mail for example. So not disabling pcspkr will make
the snd_pcsp very unreliable.