Re: [patch 1/1] pc-speaker: add SND_SILENT

Hi.

Dmitry Torokhov wrote:
OK, you need to tell me again what snd_pcsp and what exactly it
functions are, because I am confised at the moment.
It is a PCM emulation driver - like any other ALSA PCM driver
it can play a digital sound, emulating the 5bit PCM stream
on a 1bit PC-Speaker device. (actually it pretends to be a
16bit stereo device, but what it produces is a 5bit mono sound)

If it is just for
playing sounds/music through PC speaker then I don't understand why
you want to disable pcspkr driver - if people don't like terminal
beeps they can disable it.
The problem is that when the snd_pcsp is playing, the terminal beeps
will "destroy" it, as they reprogram the PIT channel 2. So I need a
way to disable pcspkr while the PCM is playing, but re-enable it as
soon as the PCM output stopped.
This only means people won't hear the terminal beeps while they "listen
to the music", but this is not as big problem as disabling these beeps
completely when snd_pcsp is selected in the config.