Re: Status of AIO

On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 08:39:15PM -0500, Benjamin LaHaise wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 06, 2006 at 04:51:29PM -0800, David S. Miller wrote:
> > I think any such VM tricks need serious thought.  It has serious
> > consequences as far as cost especially on SMP.  Evgivny has some data
> > that shows this, and chapter 5 of Networking Algorithmics has a lot of
> > good analysis and paper references on this topic.
>
> VM tricks do suck, so you just have to use the tricks that nobody else
> is...  My thinking is to do something like the following: have a structure
> to reference a set of pages.  When it is first created, it takes a reference
> on the pages in question, and it is added to the vm_area_struct of the user
> so that the vm can poke it for freeing when memory pressure occurs.  The
> sk_buff dataref also has to have a pointer to the pageref added.  Now, the
> trick to making it useful is as follows:
>
> 	struct pageref {
> 		atomic_t	free_count;
> 		int		use_count;	/* protected by socket lock */
> 		unsigned long	user_address;
> 		unsigned long	length;
> 		struct socket	*sock;		/* backref for VM */
> 		struct page	*pages[];
> 	};
[...]
> It's probably easier to show this tx path with code that gets the details
> right.

This somehow resembles the scatter-gatter lists already used in some
subsystems such as the SCSI sg driver.

BTW you have to make these pages Copy-On-Write before this procedure
starts because you wouldn't want it to accidently fill the zero page,
i.e. the VM will have to supply a unique set of pages otherwise it
messes up.

--
Dan Aloni
[email protected], [email protected], [email protected], [email protected]