Re: [2.6 patch] make UNIX a bool

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 18:55 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 03, 2006 at 12:50:51PM -0500, James C. Georgas wrote:

> > > Correct.
> >
> > Ok, I understand.
> >
> > What are the exported symbols, and where are they defined?
> >
> > I read the post you linked to earlier, but I got nothing when I grepped
> > for "get_max_files", which was mentioned.
>
> You must look at the latest -mm.

OK, I see. It's a wrapper function for files_stat.max_files, which was
the current exported symbol in the mainline kernel.

It's used here, basically, to cap the number of sockets in existence, to
prevent rogue processes from chewing up all your memory.

If I understand your position correctly, you believe that it is
inappropriate for this symbol to be publicly visible to a subsystem that
is dynamically linked, but that it is OK for it to be publicly visible
to the same subsystem, when it is statically linked instead.

Did I misunderstand you?

--
James C. Georgas <[email protected]>