Re: [2.6 patch] make UNIX a bool

On Fri, 2006-03-03 at 12:46 +0100, Adrian Bunk wrote:

> > > Every kernel symbol a module uses must be explicitely exported with
> > > EXPORT_SYMBOL.
> >
> > Yes, I understand that I need to export symbols to define the interface
> > to my driver. whether its a module or compiled in. This is how other
> > systems interact with my driver, right?
>
> EXPORT_SYMBOL is only required for modules.
>
> > > CONFIG_UNIX uses symbols that are neither used by any other in-kernel
> > > modules nor should be exported.
> >
> > Are you saying that AF_UNIX has to export symbols for its own private
> > functions in order to call them? I guess I don't understand this. Why
> > not just call them. They're in scope within the driver code, aren't
> > they?
>
> No, this is about functions defined in other parts of the kernel.

Ok, if I understand you correctly now, there is a function defined in
another part of the kernel, which is _called_ by AF_UNIX, and it is for
this function that the other part of the kernel must export a symbol?

But you only need to do this so that modules can use the function,
because if, instead, the driver is built in, then the function is
directly in scope, and can be called explicitly?

--
James C. Georgas <[email protected]>