Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

D. Hazelton wrote:

On Friday 17 February 2006 16:35, Bill Davidsen wrote:
Daniel Barkalow wrote:
I don't think it needs to be a class, but I think that there should be a
single place with a directory for each device that could be what you
want, with a file that tells you if it is. That's why I was looking at
block/; these things must be block devices, and there aren't an huge
number of block devices.

I suppose "grep 1 /sys/block/*/device/dvdwriter" is just as good; I
hadn't dug far enough in to realize that the reason I wasn't seeing
anything informative in /sys/block/*/device/ was that I didn't have any
devices with informative drivers, not that it was actually supposed to
only have links to other things.
It would be nice to have one place to go to find burners, and to have
the model information in that place. I would logically think that place
is sysfs, and I know the kernel has the information because if I root
through /proc/bus/usb and /proc/scsi/scsi, and /proc/ide/hd?/model I can
eventually find out what the system has connected.

I not entirely sure about having classes other than cdrom, just because
we already have CD, DVD, DVD-DL, and are about to add blue-ray and
HD-DVD, so if I can tell that it's a removable device which can read
CDs, the applications have a fighting chance to looking at the device to
see what it is. As a human I would like the model information because
the kernel has done the work, why should people have to chase it when it
could be in one place?

The problem is that drives don't always cleanly report what they are in a simple to access format. All SCSI and ATAPI drives provide a model, manufacturer and serial number but usually the type of drive is buried within the Model field, and that has a lot of variations.

(I have personally seen CD/CDRW, CD-ROM, CD-RW, CDR, CDRW and DVD/CDROM)

Now what could be done is that said information could be exported to sysfs. Given the time I could probably manage the patch myself, but I'm currently overextended with the number of projects I have underway.

I would think that the model, manufacturer and serial would be useful, and just the indication that the device was CD capable would be a huge gain. There are at least two more type of drive coming soon in the 25GB media race, so identification could legitimately be left to the application as long as all CD-like devices can easily be identified for examination.

Does that fit with your level of available time (and interest in resolving this issue)?

--
bill davidsen <[email protected]>
 CTO TMR Associates, Inc