Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Saturday 18 February 2006 11:56, Bill Davidsen wrote:
> D. Hazelton wrote:

> >>It would be nice to have one place to go to find burners, and to have
> >>the model information in that place. I would logically think that place
> >>is sysfs, and I know the kernel has the information because if I root
> >>through /proc/bus/usb and /proc/scsi/scsi, and /proc/ide/hd?/model I can
> >>eventually find out what the system has connected.
> >>
> >>I not entirely sure about having classes other than cdrom, just because
> >>we already have CD, DVD, DVD-DL, and are about to add blue-ray and
> >>HD-DVD, so if I can tell that it's a removable device which can read
> >>CDs, the applications have a fighting chance to looking at the device to
> >>see what it is. As a human I would like the model information because
> >>the kernel has done the work, why should people have to chase it when it
> >>could be in one place?
> >
> >The problem is that drives don't always cleanly report what they are in a
> >simple to access format. All SCSI and ATAPI drives provide a model,
> >manufacturer and serial number but usually the type of drive is buried
> > within the Model field, and that has a lot of variations.
> >
> >(I have personally seen CD/CDRW, CD-ROM, CD-RW, CDR, CDRW and DVD/CDROM)
> >
> >Now what could be done is that said information could be exported to
> > sysfs. Given the time I could probably manage the patch myself, but I'm
> > currently overextended with the number of projects I have underway.
>
> I would think that the model, manufacturer and serial would be useful,
> and just the indication that the device was CD capable would be a huge
> gain. There are at least two more type of drive coming soon in the 25GB
> media race, so identification could legitimately be left to the
> application as long as all CD-like devices can easily be identified for
> examination.
>
> Does that fit with your level of available time (and interest in
> resolving this issue)?

seems straightforward enough. May take me a bit, since I'll need to see what
has to be done in order to make the information necessary, but I think it
could all be resolved with calls to the routines the ioctl's normally access.

DRH

(and I think that theres even more information available, from the
capabilities mode page, but I'm unsure as to how to access that)