Re: CD writing in future Linux (stirring up a hornets' nest)

On Mon, 13 Feb 2006, Dmitry Torokhov wrote:

> On 2/13/06, Greg KH <[email protected]> wrote:
> > On Mon, Feb 13, 2006 at 03:05:49AM -0500, Daniel Barkalow wrote:
> > > Are there guidelines on having a generic cdrom export information from its
> > > block interface, rather than through its bus? I'm not finding any
> > > documentation of sys/block/, aside from that it exists.
> >
> > That information should go into the device directory, not the sys/block
> > directory (as it referrs to the device attributes, not the block gendev
> > attributes.)
> >

> Not necessarily - it would be easier for userspace programs if we had
> a separate class in sysfs - /sys/class/cdrom. The problem with this
> approach is that we do not allow a device belong o several classes
> without introducing intermediate class devices (I mean a DVD+RW shoudl
> probably belong to classes cdrom, dvdrom, cdwriter and dvdwriter).

I don't think it needs to be a class, but I think that there should be a
single place with a directory for each device that could be what you want,
with a file that tells you if it is. That's why I was looking at block/;
these things must be block devices, and there aren't an huge number of
block devices.

I suppose "grep 1 /sys/block/*/device/dvdwriter" is just as good; I hadn't
dug far enough in to realize that the reason I wasn't seeing anything
informative in /sys/block/*/device/ was that I didn't have any devices
with informative drivers, not that it was actually supposed to only have
links to other things.

	-Daniel
*This .sig left intentionally blank*