Re: quality control

Jens Axboe <[email protected]> wrote:

> Look, it's really simple: lets say I make a change that has to do with
> PM, you do a quick compile test with and _without_ PM just to check you
> didn't screw anything up with that change. You change reiserfs acl
> stuff, you do a quick compile test with and without that configured.
>
> It's a pretty standard procedure, and contrary to what you think, it
> _is_ required before submitting a patch. No one is asking anyone to
> check all possible configure options, but the interesting data set is
> typically extremely easy to guess looking at a change.

<rofl>

bix:/usr/src/op> find patches -name '*build-fix*' | wc -l
    533

bix:/usr/src/op> find patches -name '*fix.patch' | wc -l
   5109

A lot of people don't make the slightest effort.  But it's not a big
problem, really.  Silly build errors are reported early and are almost
always trivial to fix.  The major drawback is that they can wreck a -mm
release for many testers.