Re: quality control

On Feb 06, 2006, at 06:09, Andi Kleen wrote:
Kyle Moffett <[email protected]> writes:
It's a GIT version of an RC patch for grief's sake! You don't seriously expect people to quadruple-check every trivial patch that goes into Linus GIT tree before sending it, do you?

No quadruple check, but every patch going to Linus should get at least some basic testing and it's definitely suppose to compile at least in one .config combination.

Well, yes, and it did. The problem was that if you turned off ACLs, it didn't work; only one or two variants of about 6 or 8 ways to configure reiserfs stopped working. Given that, I can't see how Hans is complaining about lack of QC. Nobody is going to test patches against every possible kernel configuration; that's why we do an RC, so that we can get a lot of different configs tested.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
I didn't say it would work as a defense, just that they can spin that out for years in court if it came to it.
  -- Rob Landley