Re: non-fakeraid controllers

Phillip Susi wrote:
> Wakko Warner wrote:
> >I've been wondering about dmraid.  I considered buying an adaptec sata raid
> >(hardware).  One of the drawbacks on hardware raid is the format isn't
> >compatible with any other card (or rather manufacturer).  So the question
> >is, has anyone written anything that can detect and activate disks from a
> >hardware raid controller when they are placed on a controller w/o any raid?
> >
> >basically what I mean is, 3 disks, raid5 was in a system with hardware
> >raid. the raid card blows up and cannot get another one so to get the data
> >back,
> >place disks in another machine or on a standard controller and use software
> >raid or whatever to recover the data.
>
> Yes, that is one of the problems with hardware raid controllers.  If you
> can figure out the controller's metadata format, possibly by asking
> adaptec, or reverse engineering, then patching dmraid to understand that
> format ( it already understands several used by fakeraid controllers )
> should be rather easy.

One of the things that I noticed with adaptec's and ami's raid (and an old mylex
dac960 IIRC) is that you can create containers or partitions (which every
they call them) on a disk set.  I guess you can take 3 disks, create a raid5
using half the capcity of the 3 disks and a raid0 on the rest.  I'm not sure
about fakeraid controllers as I've never configured one.

 Got Gas???