Re: GPL V3 and Linux - Dead Copyright Holders

Marc Perkel wrote:

Jeff V. Merkey wrote:

Marc Perkel wrote:

Linus,

For what it's worth, maybe you should run some of these issues past the Electronic Frontier Foundation (eff.org) or Robin Gross at IPJustice.org who might be able to review these issues and help make sure you're doing it right.

Great advice, however, the EFF are not experts in IP law. I would suggest a good firm in Palo Alto, like Rosati, Goodrich and Sonsini, they are experts in corporate IP law and Corporate law in general. They would know all the loopholes people and companies are likely to use. Stay away from these freebie Law Groups who are more likely to kiss your butt and tell you waht you want to hear rather than what you NEED to hear. OSDL should pick up the tab. It will cost around 30K for a good analysis from them.

Jeff

Actually EFF does have some good IP lawyers on staff and Robin Gross - a former EFF employee ([email protected]) is also very up on this. And the prices is right too if you don't want to spend the big bucks. I would rather get legal advice from lawyer who care about GPL than lawyers who just want to run up a big fee and screw you in the end.

No. I think tey would salivate to be able to work on Linux stuff with Linus. Wilson Sonsini, who was on the Novell Board at the time, directed the lawsuit against me at TRG -- he nailed me no matter what squirming I did. I have had other dealings with them. They would do a great job
for Linus.

It might be worth looking into doing it right before some other SCO type decides they can get rich by busting Linux.

Not likely. Our building is right next to them and over the past few months, there's fewer and fewer cars in the parking lot and more lights turned off in offices in the evening. I doubt they are going to do anything to Linux. IBM is going to get nailed on some stuff, but I think Linux is unaffected, at least those parts RedHat, Suse, and the rest of us need to keep going.

Jeff