Re: GPL V3 and Linux

Stephen Hemminger wrote:
On Fri, 20 Jan 2006 09:49:44 -0700
"Jeff V. Merkey" <[email protected]> wrote:

Cudos to Stallman, The patent retaliation clause is exactly what has been missing. The inclusion of custom binaries was a little vague, but the net of it is that the end user can combine the separate parts, and have the freedom to do so given the GPL3 terms. Any concensus on whether Linux will move to GPL3?

No consensus exists, and it would require agreement from all the copyright
holders.

I don't think the kernel is going to move to v3, it's licensed specifically as v2, this is from the top of COPYING:

>  Also note that the only valid version of the GPL as far as the kernel
>  is concerned is _this_ particular version of the license (ie v2, not
>  v2.2 or v3.x or whatever), unless explicitly otherwise stated.

Also, given that several of the copyright holders in the kernel are dead, I don't think we will be able to obtain permission.