Re: Development tree, PLEASE?

On Jan 20, 2006, at 12:06, Michael Loftis wrote:
--On January 20, 2006 5:35:51 PM +0100 Marc Koschewski <[email protected]> wrote:
Moreover, as far as I remember... my devfsd -> udev transsition went as smooth as a reboot.

The one machine I've got running 2.6+devfs under debian chokes in initrd with an inability to find devfs during boot so I had to go back to static /dev entries for it since atleast in sarge right now I'm not seeing a quick-and-easy way to get devfs like support bundled via mkinitrd, but I haven't looked, and I shouldn't have to.

Guess what, you _don't_ have to. I have no less than 4 different 2.6 debian boxes here, all booting the fully modular stock Debian kernels from software RAID on SATA or PATA (depends on the box). Not only that, but I can shut down and rearrange those drives to different IDE/ SATA ports, then boot and it all still works with consistent /dev names (With the exception that I have to bump yaboot into booting from a different OpenFirmware path). If you've customized and hardcoded a lot of the boot scripts, I can understand why things might be breaking, but the default initrds that the Debian tools generate work just fine for me.

Cheers,
Kyle Moffett

--
There is no way to make Linux robust with unreliable memory subsystems, sorry. It would be like trying to make a human more robust with an unreliable O2 supply. Memory just has to work.
  -- Andi Kleen