Re: RFC: OSS driver removal, a slightly different approach

Krzysztof Halasa wrote:

SOUND_ADLIB

IIRC 8-bit sound, ISA. GUS on DOS used to emulate it

Extremely classic card. Would be fun to still have around if only for history's sake...

SOUND_PAS

Pro Audio Spectrum. Earlier than GUS? 8-bit I think

Also drives my PAS16s. Yes, it's very old -- non-pnp ISA and all that. Used to be a fairly popular card at the time though (since it sounds better than most other cards of the era) so there's still a couple of those around. I believe I have three lying around somewhere, one of them in fact still installed (in a machine that's currently not available though).

Sure, wouldn't be a tragedy to remove, but keeping it neither (writing an ALSA driver for the stupid thing has been on my personal TODO only slightly shorter then all the items preceding it).

SOUND_PSS
SOUND_SB

The original one (8-bit)? Not sure about relation to Kahlua and PAS

The relation to PAS16 at least is that the PAS includes a (independent) SB8 compatible chip. The OSS driver supplies two sound devices. At the moment, I'm not recalling with certainty whether or not they were also hardware mixed, but I guess they were...

Rene.