Re: RFC: OSS driver removal, a slightly different approach

Adrian Bunk <[email protected]> writes:

> 1. ALSA drivers for the same hardware

[ a list of relatively modern cards, mostly PCI-based ]

> 2. ALSA drivers for the same hardware with known problems

[ same here ]

> 3. no ALSA drivers for the same hardware
>
> SOUND_ACI_MIXER

Never heard

> SOUND_ADLIB

IIRC 8-bit sound, ISA. GUS on DOS used to emulate it

> SOUND_AEDSP16

Never heard

> SOUND_AU1550_AC97

Never heard but ac97 suggests it's not that old

> SOUND_BCM_CS4297A
> SOUND_HAL2
> SOUND_IT8172
> SOUND_KAHLUA

Kahlua is a liquor in Mexico named after some ancient (Mayan or Aztec)
deity :-)

> SOUND_MSNDCLAS
> SOUND_MSNDPIN

Turtle Beach, I think it's newer than (at least the original) GUS.

> SOUND_PAS

Pro Audio Spectrum. Earlier than GUS? 8-bit I think

> SOUND_PSS
> SOUND_SB

The original one (8-bit)? Not sure about relation to Kahlua and PAS

> SOUND_SH_DAC_AUDIO
> SOUND_TRIX
> SOUND_VIDC
> SOUND_VRC5477
> SOUND_VWSND
> SOUND_WAVEARTIST

Look strange.

Don't you all think a large part (if not most) of the "ALSA-unsupported"
cards is no longed in any (Linux-related) use? I wouldn't be surprised
if they just don't exist anymore. Who is to write drivers for them and -
more importantly - who can test them?

The oldest card I currently have is (the original) GUS, it has 16-bit
DACs (and 8-bit ADC) and it's long dead (never bothered to fix it but
I think it could be easy). And I see it would be supported.

My oldest working (or at least installed) card is SB64 ISA, and it's
supported too. Yes, I have few junk-grade machines here.
--
Krzysztof Halasa