Re: [Alsa-devel] Re: RFC: OSS driver removal, a slightly different approach

On Thu, Jan 19, 2006 at 04:50:08PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Lee Revell ([email protected]) said:
> > Yes, it would require a collector of ancient sound hardware... do you
> > know anyone like that?
>
> If someone desparately wants a AdLib or PAS16 I might be able to
> scrounge one up. However, are there really users out there
> insisting that their Linux experience is suffering because they
> don't have support for their 8-bit ISA FM synth card?

Half of the cards without ALSA drivers are ancient PC hardware and the
other half are drivers for !i386 platforms.

Me scheduling other OSS drivers for removal brought me indirectly in
contact with two users of SOUND_TRIX and one user of SOUND_VIDC - and
I'd assume that most of such hardware has some users somewhere.

I don't consider it a big problem if a handful OSS drivers for obscure
hardware will stay forever (although getting ALSA drivers for all
hardware would be the superior solution).

We are already able to both remove a serious amount of code and getting
many bug reports against the ALSA drivers without removing support for a
single piece of hardware.

> Bill

cu
Adrian