Re: Dual core Athlons and unsynced TSCs

On Sun, 2006-01-15 at 10:21 -0800, [email protected] wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2006 at 11:33:36AM -0500, Lee Revell wrote:

> > > monotonic but not linear.  Also remember that the OS will use rdtsc here
> > > and there, and you can't affine the OS :)
> > >

> > So the options are either to fix the TSC handling on these systems (by
> > resyncing the TSCs when exiting from HLT), or eliminate the use of rdtsc
> > by the OS?
>
> Or both.  You can trap rdtsc users in userland, you have to manually audit
> kernel users.
>
> It should be abolished or properly wrapped in kernel code, as soon as a
> resync path is available.

For the purposes of this discussion I was not considering direct use of
rdtsc from userland for timing, I've accepted the arguments that this is
a lost cause with today's hardware (although I maintain it was viable in
practice on previous generations of hardware).  Besides, rdtsc is
useless from userspace if the kernel traps it, because the whole point
of using it over gettimeofday() was that it was dirt cheap.

I'm content to make sure the kernel's internal timekeeping is solid.

Lee