Re: Why the DOS has many ntfs read and write driver,but the linux can't for a long time

> > Hell kfm is probably a hell of a lot more bloated than Nautilus and
> > it's pretty fast to start first time (1-2s), and cached it's pretty
> > much instantaneous (I'd say less than 400ms). Fast enough, no?
> >

> I don't think it's a broken configuration, just a slow machine (600MHz
> VIA C3).  Windows XP screams compared to Linux on this thing.

Guys... Apples and oranges and stuff.

My mother is running KDE on Linux now because (among other things)
windows explorer was unbearably slow for displaying folders with image
thumbnails  (very large images and lots of them).

Changing from an older 433MHz Celeron with too little memory to a 2.6
GHz P4 with a gig of memory was not enough. We tried quite a few things,
but I ended up giving KDE on Linux (Debian, not that it matters) a try.

I don't know Nautilus and I don't care - but I can say that there are
definitely situations in which KDE on Linux seriously and thoroughly
kicks MS butt both when it comes to simple usability and availability of
"good" software, and not least when it comes to the part of usability we
call "performance".  Getting the job done in time - and if something
takes a while to process, being able to do it in the background and
letting the user use the computer meanwhile.

This is not a kernel thing. There is proper desktop software out there -
go use it already  :)

My 0.02 Euro, for what it's worth,

--

 / jakob