Re: Why the DOS has many ntfs read and write driver,but the linux can't for a long time

On Monday 09 January 2006 16:41, Lee Revell wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-01-09 at 17:29 +0100, Bernd Petrovitsch wrote:

> > > I think you'll get at most a 10% or 20% speedup by improving the
> > > kernel, while some of these apps (think Nautilus vs Windows Explorer)
> > > will need to be 1000% faster to seem reasonable to a Windows user.
> >
> > That's easy: Just start nautilus, OOorg, Firefox, a java-vm and
> > GNOME/KDE infrastructure at login time in the background (*eg* and
> > mlockall() the more important ones so that the are surely in RAM) and
> > "starting the app" is only a small program connecting to the respective
> > process to get a fork() there (e.g. like the "-remote" parameter in the
> > Mozilla family).
>
> Have you tried this?  I suspect it still takes at least twice as long as
> on windows.
>
> For example on my system there was already a "nautilus" process but
> "Places -> Home Folder" still took ~2 seconds to display anything, and
> ~8 seconds to completely render the window and icons.  On Windows this
> takes much less than a second.

Sounds like a broken configuration to me. Of course the usual array of
hardware specs, configuration, filesystem, free RAM, etc. all play into this,
but no KDE application, including the originally cited Kate, takes longer
than 1s to start on this machine (1.6GHz P-M, 2MB L2, 400MHz FSB, 1GB
PC2700).

Hell kfm is probably a hell of a lot more bloated than Nautilus and it's
pretty fast to start first time (1-2s), and cached it's pretty much
instantaneous (I'd say less than 400ms). Fast enough, no?

Sounds like the kernel is plenty fast.

--
Cheers,
Alistair.

'No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway.'
Third year Computer Science undergraduate.